Conserving rather than replacing historic fabric was the primary concern when repairing the ceiling of this redundant grade II listed chapel in Matlock Bath.
The former chapel was originally built in 1897 for a private owner but is now in the hands of the charity Friends of Friendless Churches, which is undertaking repairs. The chapel is the only church designed by Guy Dawber, a renowned English architect of the Arts and Crafts style. All the internal fittings are in this style, creating a challenge for our traditional plasterers who successfully adapted their skills to suit the design.
Scope of work:
- inspecting and reporting on the condition of the ceiling
- repairing and conserving original plasterwork
Date of completion