The original parts of this historic Derbyshire church date from the early 14th century. A major rebuilding took place in 1858, including replacing the lead roof with one of Westmoreland slate.
With this roof now in need of major repair, Norman & Underwood was tasked with removing, salvaging and refitting the slate, as well as undertaking other refurbishment work.
Unfortunately, the slate proved to be so soft that only around 30% could be salvaged. To maintain the aesthetic appearance of the church, craftsmen refitted the retained slates, mixed with a small amount of new, reclaimed slate, to the Vestry and North Aisle roofs. The South Aisle and Chancel roof slopes were replaced with new Burlington slate.