The tower and spire of the old church had a history of collapsing and in 1776 it was decided to build a new church. A grand ceremony was held to mark the laying of the foundation stone by the Bailiff of Buckingham, on 25 November 1777. The new building was consecrated three years later by the Bishop of Lincoln.
Norman & Underwood Conservation was appointed to undertake extensive roofing repairs, including replacement of rotten timbers, stonework and a large section of copper roofing. To ensure that all works could continue during bad weather, the team first designed and constructed a substantial temporary roof. Internal walkways were also erected within the nave roof space to allow maintenance at a later date.